Mon, Dec 10, 2018
Home > Cricket > Return of Warner, Bancroft in July

Return of Warner, Bancroft in July2 min read

David Warner

Australian cricketers, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will be returning to the field for the NT Strike League in Darwin. This is a month-long commitment consisting of T20 and one-day matches and four franchises – Desert Blaze, City Cyclones, Northern Tide, and Southern Storm.

David Warner used to be an opening batsman for the Australian Tests along with Cameron Bancroft.

Warner and Bancroft made the headlines for their involvement in the ball tampering scandal in their third Test against South Africa which took place in March. They were handed a one-year and nine-month suspension respectively from top-flight international and state cricket.

However, the Strike League being a low-level, limited-overs tournament does not come under either of those categories and hence, allowed both to be drafted.

According to Joel Morrison, however, the duo will be covering their own costs to play.

Bancroft will be participating for the entirety of the tournament while Warner will take part in two one-day matches on July 21st and 22nd.

“I’m really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July. I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month that I’m keen to be part of it,” Warner said in a statement on Tuesday.

“We’re delighted that Cameron and David will be joining us in Darwin for the Strike League, their presence and experience will be invaluable for our local players,” NT Cricket CEO Joel Morrison said.

‘There’s no payment to any players in our competition. These two players are coming up here, looking after their own flights and accommodation. We don’t lose sight of the fact that they’re up here because of the events in Cape Town. They made a big error in judgment and ultimately paid the price. They’ve also demonstrated a willingness to learn from their mistakes and move forward.’

“We’re more than happy to support them on that journey. It’s great they can start it now, as opposed to waiting for summer”, he added.

Steve Smith, the former Captain of the Australian International Cricket Team,  will also be making a return to cricket for the Global T20 Tournament in Canada and he is to be joined by Warner as well. Warner will be joining in as a marquee player. The tournament extends from 28th June to 15th July.

Warner was selected in the third round by the Winnipeg Hawks after Dwayne Bravo and David Miller, while Smith has been taken in by the Toronto Nationals along with Darren Sammy and Keiron Pollard.

Warner is also taking part in the Sydney club tournament for Randwick Petersham. Bancroft will be playing with his West Australian club side – Willetton – further along, this year.

It will not be a smooth comeback for any of them after everything that has happened but this will be the first step to their recovery in the game. We wish all three the best of luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *