PCB Wants ICC To Take Action Against Indian Cricket Team

PCB Wants ICC To Take Action Against Indian Cricket Team

Indian cricketers sported camouflage military in solidarity with Indian soldiers killed last month in an attack in Pulwama by a Pakistan based militant group in the 3rd ODI against Australia. 


This didn’t go well with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has sent a letter to International Cricket Council(ICC) asking them to take action against Indian cricket team for the same act.

What Happened

On 14th February, 40 Indian army men were killed in an attack caused by a militant group based in Pakistan.  Attack and counter-attacks were followed for the next few days in the border area. The tension is yet not complete over and demands for Indian cricket team boycotting the World Cup match against Pakistan are also making headlines.

The Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli and senior member Mahendra Singh Dhoni came with the idea of wearing military caps to show respect to the martyrs. Virat Kohli also announced that all the players would donate their fees from the match to a national defense fund for the families of the soldiers died in the attack.

What Followed

The Chairman of PC Ehsan Mani told reporters that they had taken up the matter to ICC.

“We believe that cricket and sports should not be used for politics and we have said this very clearly. Their (India) credibility in the cricketing world has gone down very badly.”

Mani gave the example of Moeen Ali and Imran Tahir.  He reminded all how ICC earlier took action against England all-rounder Moeen Ali and South Africa leg-spinner Imran Tahir for breaching ICC clothing and equipment regulations to make political statements. Mani informed,

“The ICC had taken strong action against them and we have sought similar action against India,” he added. “The permission they took was for a different purpose but they acted differently.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) already announced that they had taken permission from the ICC. But it seems that the PCB isn’t ready to let go the matter so easily. According to the chairman,

“We have been in touch with ICC from day one, sent one letter already and another is being followed up in the next 12 hours. There should not be any ambiguity as we are taking this very strongly.”

Also Read: India should resolve these issues before World Cup

Pakistan Super League In Trouble As IMG Reliance Cancels Association

pakistan-super-league-img-reliance

The fourth edition of Pakistan Super League is in trouble following the terror attack in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district. 


After D-Sport, the official broadcaster of the Pakistan Super League suspended broadcast of the league, now it is time for IMG Reliance. On Sunday, IMG Reliance pulled out as the producers of Pakistan Super League. The decision was taken followed by the Pulwama terror attacks on Thursday.

The Backstory

On Thursday, at least 40 CRPF personnel died on Thursday in a terror attack in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district. A suicide bomber rammed his Scorpio SUV laden with explosives into a CRPF bus. Jaish-e-Mohammad took responsibility for the attack and identified the bomber as a 20-year-old local resident from Pulwama district. The bus was part of a convoy of 78 vehicles with 2,547 CRPF personnel, moving from Jammu to Srinagar. According to the sources, most of them were returning from leave to join duty in Srinagar.

IMG Reliance was the official producer of Pakistan Super League, fourth edition. As a protest of the terror attack, the decision to withdraw their tie-up with the league. According to an IMG-Reliance official, a mail was sent to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) by Reliance officials, informing the decision.

PCB On IMG Decision

The official mail from IMG was addressed to Sohaib Sheikh, General Manager Marketing & Sales PCB and PSL, and Kamil Khan General Manager Marketing, Digital Media and Sports Production at Pakistan Cricket Board. IMG Reliance explained in the mail,

“Due to unfortunate events a couple of days back which resulted in the death of Indian soldiers, IMG Reliance is pulling out with immediate effects, from offering broadcast production services for PSL. The incident that occurred is deeply regrettable.”

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) later issued a statement on the current status of PSL broadcasting. They informed that PCB will name a new producer on soon.

“We have been informed by IMG Reliance that they will be unable to partner with us for the remaining HBL PSL 2019 and PCB has reserved all its rights. The PCB always had a contingency plan in place, and we are confident we will be in a position to announce the new partner on Monday after the completion of the formalities,” said PCB’s Managing Director Wasim Khan in the statement.

Pakistan Super League in Trouble

Earlier D-Sport, the official broadcaster of Pakistan Super League in India suspended the telecast. The decision from Reliance came just a few hours after D-Sport’s decision. IMG Reliance bagged the deal to produce and broadcast season 4 of the T20 league in January 2019. The Pakistan Super League began its fourth season in Dubai on February 14. IMG was the only producer of the league. This means PSL will go off air until PCB signs a new deal and brings in other alternative options. So with the current situation, it is important for the PCB to find out a new producer as soon as possible for the smooth functioning of the league.

Also Read: Top 3 contenders of IPL 2019