Manchester City youngster, Leroy Sane has been recalled to the German squad for their upcoming games against France and Peru after he was left out of the squad that traveled to the World Cup. Joachim Lowe decided that the last year’s young player of the year will not make the World cup squad that went on to put a dismal show in Russia. The German’s crashed out in the group stages and disappointed many with their horrid performances and most of all showed that they missed the pace and skill of a player like Leroy Sane. However, the 22-year-old will be available for selection for Germany’s UEFA Nations Cup opener against France that will take place on September 6th and their match against Peru on September 9th.
“I spoke to Sane on the day the World Cup squad was announced,” said Joachim Low. “I have told him that his national team future must begin after the World Cup and that we are aware of his qualities. We wanted to take an intensive look at his style of play after the World Cup.” Juventus midfielder Sami Khedira was, however, left out of the German squad but manager Joachim Lowe said that the career of the 31-year-old midfield marshal’s career is not over yet. Low says, ” I have had a long conversation with him. He told me that you don’t retire from the national team. He was always proud to play for Germany. I have told him that I want to make space for new players in that position.”
Kai Havertz of Bayern Leverkusen, Nico Shulz of Hoffenheim and Thilo Kehrer of PSG have all received their first national team call-up. Havertz is the current German under 19 captain while Kehrer recently left his boyhood club Schalke to join the French champions PSG for a fee around the region of 33 million Euros.
“There are certainly better days in the life of a national coach than when you must send four great players home who would have deserved to be at a World Cup,” Löw said at the team’s training camp in South Tyrol, Italy.
The Manchester City winger Leroy Sané has been left out from Germany’s final 23-man World Cup squad. The 22-year-old winger had been regarded as a hot prospect in Russia after his outstanding season at Manchester City which leads him to become the PFA young player of the year.
However, he was named as one of four players on Monday cut from Joachim Low’s squad with the Germany coach choosing Bayer Leverkusen’s highly-rated Julian Brandt over him.
“It was a tight race between Leroy Sané and Julian Brandt. Both have big qualities, both are good in the one-on-one duels. Julian Brandt was at the Confed Cup, had some strong games there, and put in good shifts in the training camp too. Leroy Sané is a huge talent, no doubt, and he will be back with the team in September,” Löw added.
Low has earned the right to make such bold choices given he won the World Cup in Brazil and this is his sixth tournament. He has gone about it rationally and it seems that Sane simply does not fit into the style of play the coach wants.
There may also be significant in the fact that Sane did not play in the Confederations Cup last summer when he underwent surgery on his nose, and Brandt took his place. Sane’s decision did not go down well with Low given it was a chance to stake a claim in the World Cup squad.
“He did a good job against Austria, tried to work in defence, went into the transition play. No blame here. And his behavior off the pitch was good as well.” he further added.
Even so, Sane has started the majority of Germany’s recent friendly matches but it has not impressed the Coach, including in their last game – the 2-1 loss to Austria. In all Sane has played 12 matches without scoring or making an impact. It means that Brandt and Julian Draxler were selected as back-up to Thomas Muller and Marco Reus to play in the wide areas. All fit in more towards Low’s direction.
“You have to look at the big picture so we have a variable and well-balanced team prepared for all eventualities. We have good players on the wing in Thomas Müller and Marco Reus. Julian Draxler played a good Confed Cup and made progress there.”
His absence in the list is arguably the biggest surprise in the 32 confirmed squads.
Among those to react to this surprise was City teammate Kyle Walker. The England defender posted: “When you find out @leroysane19 isn’t going to the World Cup” on Instagram, alongside an image of himself spitting out water.
Sane replied with a joke: “Well you’re lucky that u don’t have to play against me bro @kylewalker2.”